034 RR Benchmarking and Profiling
Podcast: Play in new window
| Download (Duration: 1:03:55 — 87.8MB)
- Ruby’s Benchmark library
- Measuring speed
- Managing maintainability
- Startup and test speed
- Evan Phoenix’s benchmark suite gem
- Benchmark accuracy
- What are you measuring?
- What else is happening?
- Wet stones and dry stones
- Don’t build toward your benchmarks. Let your benchmarks tell you what’s going on.
- Printing benchmarks to the terminal – measures the write to the terminal too
- code coverage tangent
- require ‘coverage’ for code coverage
- perf tools
- New Relic
- sampling profiling
- Test the benchmarks you’re given
- Communicate the process
- Aaron goes into Rails’ startup time profiling (blog post)
- sub-shells (shelling out to find or run commands)
- using the gemspec.erb method (from Dave)